Melatonin, a hormone that resides in human body, is a naturally obtained ingredient. Melatonin when used as a certain type of medicine is manufactured with the help of a synthetic in a lab facility. Melatonin is on sale in pill form which is the most common product form. But drug companies tend to manufacture melatonin based products in some other ways as well so that they can be used while keeping under the tongue or in the cheek. These forms make melatonin a good product that can easily be absorbed into human body.
Best uses of melatonin:
Something positive has been found regarding the use of melatonin as the outstanding tool to adjust the internal clock of human body. Following are the top three uses of melatonin:
- Jet lag
- Adjustment of sleep-wake cycles for people who have to struggle to cope with the frequent changes in daily work schedules which can be called shift-work disorder.
- Assistance for blind people who need to establish a proper and convenient day and night work cycle.
Other uses of Melatonin:
Melatonin claims to work for a wide variety of health related issues. Some of them include the following:
- Usable for insomniac people who are not capable of falling asleep as part of their natural physical process.
- Usable for people with Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome or DSPS.
- Usable for people with insomnia due to attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder or ADHD.
- Usable for people with insomnia associated with certain medications used for high blood pressure. Beta-blockers are the most common medications.
- Usable for children with sleep problems associated with some certain developmental disorders like cerebral palsy, intellectual disabilities and autism.
- Usable as a sleep aid when anyone stops using benzodiazepine drugs.
- Usable to ensure the reduction of some unnoticed side effects which are likely after quitting smoking.
- Usable for people who need to protect their skin from sunburn.
- Usable for people who need to be calm before they are given anesthesia for surgery.
- Usable for several types of cancers including gastrointestinal cancer, neck cancer, head cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, lung cancer and brain cancer.
- Usable for people who suffer from the side effects of cancer treatment called chemotherapy. Possible side effects may include nerve pain, weight loss and thrombocytopenia.
Finally, you can do some research to gain in-depth insights about the utility of melatonin both as a supplement and a as a hormone.